Although incontinence is one of the most prevalent medical conditions in the U.S. today, it is still the least talked about. Adult incontinence is not the easiest topic to talk about, especially among women and aging adults. The National Association for Incontinence (NAI) says 25 million adult Americans suffer from urinary incontinence. The American Urological Association (AUA) adds that 1 in 4 women over 18 years have experienced episodes of urinary leakage. Today, medical experts say the number of people suffering from both fecal and urinary incontinence could be higher. A study published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) found that prevalence rates stand at about 16-17% among adult women. While most of the studies have focused on women, it is important to note that a large number of adult men are also affected by the condition and are in most probability, suffering in silence. It is for this reason that high-quality adult diapers have come as a timely solution.
Adult Incontinence in Details
Whether you are researching incontinence products for your own use or for a loved one, it is important to learn more about the condition to help make informed choices. The International Continence Society (ICS) defines incontinence as an involuntary loss of urine or feces that poses both a social and hygienic problem. This is not just a one-off condition but a continuous problem that affects the life of an individual significantly.
The risk factors/causes of adult incontinence include pregnancy, childbirth, old age, being overweight, menopause, hysterectomy, prostate cancer, tumors and neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, brain tumor, Multiple sclerosis or spinal injury.
The different forms of incontinence are classified as:
- Stress incontinence: Caused by physical contractions such as when sneezing or exercise, among other situations
- Urge incontinence: Caused by sudden, involuntary bladder contractions that lead to involuntary urination
- Overflow incontinence: When the bladder cannot empty its contents fully
- Mixed incontinence: When symptoms of stress and urge incontinence occur together
Visiting your doctor is the first step you can take to treat the problem. Your doctor is best suited to classify the form of incontinence you are suffering from.
While adult incontinence doesn’t feature highly on medical debates, it has debilitating effects on the life of an individual. Such problems include:
- Loss of self-esteem: Most people suffering from this condition become withdrawn and fail to maximize their abilities. For them the shame and embarrassment associated with adult incontinence becomes a burden that is too hard to bear.
- Infections: Urinary and fecal incontinence can lead to skin problems and urinary tract infections. This is one reason men and women adult diapers have become so popular especially for people living with the disability, aged people and those incapacitated by injuries.
- Poor personal relationships: For younger adults suffering from urinary incontinence, the danger of going through life without a serious relationship is real. Many don’t know how to broach the subject or worse still, how to manage the situation.
- Health complications: When most people realize they are suffering from this condition, they abandon their hitherto active lifestyles and embrace a sedentary lifestyle instead. This change in their life style only makes things worse. The change from an active to a sedentary lifestyle could lead to high blood pressure, heart problems and many other problems associated with being overweight.
- Loss of opportunities: Once a person suffering from incontinence has withdrawn from an active lifestyle, they may not get a chance to take advantage of opportunities, especially opportunities to grow and climb the in their professional life. This makes adult diapers even more appropriate as they allow the user to continue living a vibrant life and to take advantage of all opportunities that come their way.
While there are many incontinence products for adults in the market, award winning products from The Wellness® Brief and Underwear program boast of the highest quality products, constructed using space age technology developed by NASA. Their products are effective, stylish, comfortable, affordable and are easily disposable. If you are looking for a solution to your incontinence problem, these adult diapers come highly recommended and are designed to redefine how incontinence is managed.
How to Shop For Adult Diapers
With so many products in the market buying the right adult diapers can be an arduous experience. Consider the following to make the process easier:
- Assess Your Needs First
Adult incontinence varies from one person to the next and it is thus important to assess your needs properly before starting your search for a diaper. Some of the factors to consider are:
- Your size: It is hard to find standardized sizes for adult diapers. You should thus take measurements before you start your search.
- Level of incontinence: Diapers are classified on the severity of incontinence they are designed to handle – i.e. as high, medium and low. Choosing a product that is designed for your level of incontinence will benefit you.
- Type of lifestyle: If you are an athlete for instance, you need a different diaper from say someone who sits in the office the whole day. Look for a product that suit your kind of life style.
- Functionality/ EffectivenessWhatever the brand of adult diaper you buy; you should verify the effectiveness of the product. Does the product your choose, meet the highest standards in construction to ensure that you are dry all the time? If you are buying an overnight diaper, does it absorb all leakages throughout the night? Is there a need for regular changes during the course of the night? These questions help assess whether the diaper you buy will manage this problem. The best diaper should offer the highest level of absorbency to help you live a fuller life.
- Comfort/ FlexibilityThe last thing you want is to wear an adult diaper that clearly shows or one that hinders you from performing your usual tasks. A good diaper should be a perfect fit and should not prevent you from living your life the way you choose. It should be comfortable and should not cause skin irritations.
- Consider Adult Diaper TypesThere are so many options to choose from when it comes to adult diapers. You can go for gender-specific diapers, overnight diapers, disposable or washable/reusable diapers, briefs, pull-ups and many others. The type of diaper you choose to buy, will depend on your needs. However, you have to consider other factors such as comfort and absorbency as well.
Adult diapers come in all shapes and sizes, and have a great impact on anyone suffering from adult incontinence. The best products will help the user manage leakages, live a fuller life and avoid skin infections. If you or a loved one has been looking for the best solution to manage incontinence, these diapers are the solution for you. Make sure you buy a product that suits your needs.